Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Secret Life of Tower Employees

Last night we went to the Secret Life of Bees at the Tower for MNMN. The reasons for this choice was:

  1. Two of the three participants had read the book, most likely stolen off my mom's bookshelf.

  2. It was at Tower, thus allowing us to visit Tower employees, making the experience whole.

  3. I had to bring a particular Tower manager/younger brother his dinner.

I was pretty much expecting this movie to be like the book. I can barely remember the book and I hope for the same from the movie. It was a run-of-the-mill feel-good type stuff. My initial thoughts are:

  • with all those singers "acting" why didn't they ever get to sing a song?

  • how freakin' old IS Dakota Fanning? (she's 14 according to wikipedia)

  • didn't the mom look like Elizabeth Shue?

I'd like to do a photo comparison, but will just give the links to their imdb pages. The actress who played the mom is Hilarie Burton.

Hilarie: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3401946880/nm1122026

Elizabeth: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1249155840/nm0000223

Obvs, I don't know how to blog yet.

There were a few other notes about MNMN. One being that I got to go into that space behind Tower's office, below the actual tower, on those rickety stairs to the projection booth of the main theatre. Man that room/loft/space is so creepy! I love it!

Also, I started questioning my attention span. I was bored with that movie within the first 30 minutes or so. I don't know if it was because I had read the book and knew the story (kind of), it was just a bad movie, or I can't pay attention to anything due to constant stimulation (the internet is to blame). I was so looking forward to MNMN and yet during the actual movie, I was kind of waiting for it to be over. This isn't the first time...

Needless to say, my favorite part of Monday night was watching How I Met Your Mother and eating brownies with my friends.


No comments: