Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Most of the Time, I Wish I Was Home Alone.

Last night, to get into the Christmas Spirit Heckamax and I watched Home Alone while wrapping presents. Matthew and two of his stooges joined us for the last half hour or so, spreading their joy with a 12 pack of PBR Light.

Home Alone is clearly one of the best holiday films of our generation. I'm about the age of Macaulay Culkin and the movie really takes me back to being a kid. First of all, the siblings are dead on. "Kevin, you're such a disease" and "I wouldn't let you sleep in my room if you were growing on my ass" are such great lines! Second, the thing is full proof. There is no possible way he could not have ended up home alone. Third, the movie banks on facial expressions. Not only Macaulay Culkin, but Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern do great work.

Home Alone take a lot of different story lines (Kevin being alone, the mom trying to get to him, the attempted burglaries, the scary old man who actually just misses his son) and blends it with enough humor (both verbal and slapstick) and sentiment to make it work.

Holiday Classic!

No comments: